Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 5th and 6th

We got off the wrong U Bahn stop - missed the bike tour, but we might be able to reschedule after all! It was raining and I think Sabrina was relieved that she did not have to learn to ride a bike within minutes only to dive into the Vienna afternoon traffic with all the road raging Viennese drivers.

The students went to the Albertina and/or got lost somewhere (following my example); some had dry Sachertorte at the Cafe Sacher (it is supposed to be dry - our tour guide today said it used to be a diet cake); I spent the afternoon trying to get money out of the ATM and walked back with Matthew, Chase and Joseph. I showed them a courtyard and Chase got a good deal at the English bookshop! We had some icecream and walked back to Karlsplatz, peeked into the church, watched the first theater in a small boat, and took the U Bahn home. Chase and Matthew accompanied me to Grinzing to get my suitcase from my sister's house. They both had a nice Gulasch, I had beer and admired photos of my brandnew nephew.

Today we took a tour of the city center; our tour guide, Mag. Husa, was very knowledgeable and told us lots of stories about the Hofburg, the Habsburgs, about coffee houses and Viennese water.

Top climbed the Stephansdom, and I was off to meet a former student from Wales, Helen, at the Museumsquartier. Ran into another friend by chance and had a lovely dinner. Visited the Lena Hoschek store - www.lenahoschek.at - in Gutenberggasse (off Burggasse), had another glass of wine at Cafe Mozart and went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment