Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday, July 7th

Time to see something gross: we put on some helmets and went down into the sewer system. I'll never forget Jamie's face when the poo smell first hit us. The sewer system of Vienna is over 2000 km long, and 250 sewer workers scrape Vienna's waste down on a daily basis. I asked the sewer worker who accompanied us on the tour whether he likes his job; he said: "I love it." Hm ... how do you come to decide that you want to work with crap? I really do wonder. Is it because your father was a sewer worker? They show a movie, which is projected against the sewer wall. The first part is about general information on the sewer system, the second part shows excerpts of the Third Man, which was filmed down there.
Afterwards we walked over to Naschmarkt. The students seemed to really enjoy walking along the small stores. Top and I had dinner. Avocado-Vogerlsalat and Steak Toast - very yummy!
Later in the evening, we were happy to report that the group was complete, safe, and sound.
I love my job! This is probably the very best part of it: showing students my home country.
So long ...

No comments:

Post a Comment